We can't change the world in Charlton Kings, but like everyone on the planet, we need to make our contribution to achieving the IPCC's target to limit global temperature rise to well under 2⁰ C.
We share Cheltenham Borough Council's commitment to a carbon-neutral Cheltenham by 2030, as a contribution toward helping the UK meet its 2050 carbon neutrality target.
Unless, like thousands of small communities across the world, our community takes action that sets an example, we have no moral authority to suggest to others that they should take action to protect the environment that our children must inherit from our generation.
CK FUTURES - WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW
Launch of the CK Carbon Footprint Challenge - 18th April 2021 The Carbon Footprint Challenge aims to provoke thinking and conversation about the Climate Emergency, and the actions we can each take to reduce our carbon footprint. You may see a banner or footprints dotted around Charlton Kings – follow the footsteps and take a look. Do you know your carbon footprint? Try the WWF footprint tool. Our Carbon Reduction Guides provide information about carbon footprints and the choices available to reduce them. CLICK HERE FOR LINK TO OUR CARBON REDUCTION GUIDES.
LATEST CK FUTURES NEWSLETTER
CK Futures Newsletter - June 2021 (PDF, 1.4 Mb)
CK Futures Newsletter - June 2021
WHAT WE HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR
The Parish Council response to the climate change emergency declared by CBC in 2019 is still in its early stages. To change the behaviour of a community takes years unless the level of dissatisfaction is so great that the community takes action. Although we are all aware of climate change, it is often seen as remote and not personal. The CK Futures strategy acts on the current level of awareness and acknowledges everyone lives a different life. Its aim is to inform, guide, and enable people to take an active role in carbon reduction and support the changes needed to achieve Cheltenham Zero by 2030.
2020 Creating the Foundations
- Building a skilled and experienced volunteer network
- Connecting to other organisations - gaining friends and partners:
- Establishing the best course of action through community engagement, a vision, CK Futures strategy and surveys, Harvest Fayre, Community open meetings (Covid restrictions allowing).
- Creating a media presence:
- Informing and sharing with the community - Webinars/Workshops - good attendance and post event viewing on You Tube
- Building bridges globally for young people. Working with the Cheltenham Twinning Association we have created an opportunity for young people from local schools to meet virtually with their counterparts in Russia, France, Germany and hopefully more in the future. This is known as the EcoExchange (link to Twinning Association page when complete)
- Innovating - footprints on pavements - bringing information and solutions to residents in a different way